This is a guide for my family and friends about my life as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Cape Verde, Africa. I teach English as foreign language to high school students in Boa Vista, Cape Verde. Also as a disclaimer, the comments expressed here are solely of the author and do not represent the United States Peace Corps, the American Government, or any other governing body.

Monday, August 21, 2006

August 20, 2006
Yesterday’s site announcement went well. I was extremely happy. I think most people were. I am going to Boa Vista with my friend (thank goodness) Leland. We are living 15 miles/30 minute drive from our jobs, so needless to say our primary objective when we get there is to find new housing in the main town of Sal Rei. This may prove to be difficult as Sal Rei is increasingly more popular with the tourists and new investment properties are popping up all over the place. I believed this piqued my father’s interest. As he is in the midst of possibly purchasing an investment property elsewhere, our conversation earlier today turned slightly into a real estate interview when I informed him about the rampant construction currently in progress on Boa Vista. It made me laugh a little. I told him I would get back to him in about a month when I had the info, and we could negotiate an offer then J. He makes me laugh. Oh, daddy I miss you! Needless to say, now that I know where I am going for the next two years, I just want to get on the plane and go; but, alas, I am here in training for three more weeks. One of our Education trainers, Charles, made and interesting point, however: he said I will be in Boa Vista for two years, I should enjoy being someplace different while I still can. And I like it here in Sao Domingos. Tonight, a current volunteer, Jacob, organized a basketball game mixed with Americans and Cape Verdeans. In my opinion, the Cape Verdeans play soccer far better, but basketball is cool and different to them, and they enjoy it. Dancing of course followed the game; the only thing missing was food. These people know how to live. Charles admires us Americans for coming over here to a strange place that is completely different from our lifestyle. He says he can relate. He moved here from Nigeria 6 years ago and has pursued a nice career as an English teacher. At first I wondered why he chose Cape Verde of all places. The language was completely different, it’s not on the African mainland, and who (besides the Italians) has ever heard of this place? But every day I understand a little more and I completely agree with him when he says in his thick Nigerian accent, “If there is one place you have to be for two years, this place is not bad.” Yes, I believe I can make it work on my impossibly beautiful beach for the next two years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home