This is a guide for my family and friends about my life as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Cape Verde, Africa. I teach English as foreign language to high school students in Boa Vista, Cape Verde. Also as a disclaimer, the comments expressed here are solely of the author and do not represent the United States Peace Corps, the American Government, or any other governing body.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Hello all.
Well I am, for almost the first time, sick. And of course who knows what it is exactly because It's a type of pain you can only experience when not lying in your really comfortable bed in PV, AZ :) The good news is, the entire Peace Corps staff is here, including the nurse, so in case I fall deathly ill, I won't have to go to the scary hospital-like structure in the town square. Of course, the nurse didn't bring her lab with her, so could do exactly nothing if I did fall deathly ill. Short of flying to Praia, there's absolutely nothing they can do for me. Which is funny. But, of course, I am NOT deathly ill nor do I plan on becoming deathly ill, so for now, it's just a little tummy discomfort and the occasional trip to the toilet for the upchuck reflex. I know you all wanted to know the dirty details.

Other than that, things are going quite well, actually. I think we have found our niche, which in six weeks on this island is quite exciting. My classes are starting to flow quite nicely (except for my 11th graders who could care less about anything) and I am feeling comfortable in the classroom. I have also made the leap to speaking Portuguese and no Creole in the classroom. If you think about it, it makes sense as Creole isn't really a grammatically translatable language. In fact, it hardly has any grammar structure. So for a translatable language when teaching English, Portuguese is essential. Or at least it has grammatical structure. It also helps me with my language skills. But Yonis, my boss, observed one of my classes and said I am doing very well, that he likes the direction I am taking with my students. Or something like that. Yonis is a complicated man. But funny.

Anyway, I am sorry this blog is short and disjointed, but my head is fuzzy and looking at a computer screen doesn't help. I am going to try and take photos of my school, students, the town, pretty much everything next week and I will post them here when I can. If there is anything in particular you want me to take a picture of, let me know and I would be happy to. We are now almost in full tourist swing, but I think I have been around long enough for people to know that I am not a tourist obnoxiously snapping my camera at the little African kids. Anyway, all is good, despite my intestines, and I hope to have pictures next time!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home