This is a guide for my family and friends about my life as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Cape Verde, Africa. I teach English as foreign language to high school students in Boa Vista, Cape Verde. Also as a disclaimer, the comments expressed here are solely of the author and do not represent the United States Peace Corps, the American Government, or any other governing body.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

So I just thought I would inform everyone about what my students had to say about this World Wise exchanging of letters thing:

Male student: "Teacher, I want a girl, a (said in English) love"
Female student: "Teacher, the boys in America are very good looking, I want a boy"
Female student: "Teacher, I'm going to ask them to send me a passport so I can go to America"
Male student: "I will write (said in English) 'I am hungry.' Cabo Verdianos are hungry"
Male student: "Can we exchange phone numbers too with our (said in English) love"
Male student, said in English to mimic what he would write: "I live in house that is barraca" (The slum-ish section of town, apparently this is a joke)
Male student, also in English: "I like cook catchupa"
Me to male student: "American children don't know what barraca or catchupa means. You have to explain it"
Male student: "I'll ask for money then they can know what a baracca is"
Me: "You have to write in English, and no asking for money!"
Whole class: Uproarious protestations

Yup. I can't wait.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! thats crazy. i bet you are counting the days until your PC conference.

18 March, 2007 06:43

 

Post a Comment

<< Home