This is a guide for my family and friends about my life as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Cape Verde, Africa. I teach English as foreign language to high school students in Boa Vista, Cape Verde. Also as a disclaimer, the comments expressed here are solely of the author and do not represent the United States Peace Corps, the American Government, or any other governing body.

Friday, December 22, 2006

First, I just want to say thank you for the comments. I don't think you understand how much I appreciate it when people leave comments on my blog. It's very comforting, if that makes any sense. So thank you :)

Well I went to the market this morning to pick up my freshly killed chickens, and the lady who was supposedly getting them for me gave me some story about maybe they were here yesterday, but now they aren't here. Sorry. I was actually not surprised. Or angry. Well now what to do? Earlier in the week, I had seen some frozen turkeys in one of the mercados (small grocery store). But when I went over there this morning, no turkeys. All sold out. They did, however, have whole frozen ducks (I know right?!). They also, thankfully had little teeny frozen baby chickens, each about 2-3lbs each. So there were my choices: tiny frozen baby chickens (halal chickens from Brazil, no less. I know, very bizarre), whole frozen duck (I don't even know how to begin to cook a duck), OR we could go to the large grocery store and pay $15 a kilo for a whole roast to make roast prime rib. It was quite the weird, twilight zone sort of choice. Well, Leland and I didn't want to pay the money for the beef, plus our oven is finicky and if I screwed up a $30 piece of meat I would be very angry with myself. I have no clue how to cook a duck, plus duck on Christmas seemed a little odd. So we will now have seven people for Christmas dinner here: a Jew, a Muslim, a few Christians of various sects, and an agnostic. All sitting around three baby halal chickens. On Christmas. I thought the idea was very amusing. Sorry if I offended anyone with the religious comments, I just thought it was funny.

I will also make mashed potatoes, gravy (thank you mother), sweet corn, and we will roast potatoes and carrots in with the chickens. But the best part of all is the broccoli-cauliflower cheese. And of course fudge for dessert. So hopefully the cooking will go well, and I won't burn down the kitchen like I almost did last time. Our friends arrive tomorrow and we are so excited to have them here. The weather has been nice, a little cool, but perfect for beach lounging. They are coming from an island that doesn't really have any beaches, so it will be a nice change for them. The packages have not arrived, so I will have no gifts this year, but I will have halal chickens and broccoli cheese. And of course, my friends. I mean, come on? What more could I possibly ask for :) Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you celebrate the day well.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas & A Very Happy New Year to you Nadia, l bet you will have a great time with your friends.Your Christmas dinner will be all the better cos you have cooked it and just think when you do go home you will be able to cook dinner for your mum & dad with all the practice you have have you will be a fantastic cook
Luv Trisha

22 December, 2006 20:45

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't get through to you through aol, but want you to know we are thinking of you and are happy to hear your Christmas will be as ecclectic for you there as it sometimes has been at home. Halal chickens, what a hoot!!! LOVE, Mom

22 December, 2006 21:02

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Nadia!!! We all miss you at the store, but love hearing from you! Love ya, Danielle

23 December, 2006 06:43

 
Blogger HIStoryInTheMix said...

Have a wonderful Christmas Nadia xxxx

25 December, 2006 16:10

 

Post a Comment

<< Home